If you are looking for new way to make zucchini, these Crispy Air Fryer Zucchini Chips are a quick and easy choice. With just a handful of ingredients, you can enjoy a real treat with a satisfying crunch and no breading. A seasoning blend of kosher salt, garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper give these chips their tastiness.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Crunchy delight: These zucchini chips come out of the air fryer perfectly crispy, giving you a satisfying snacking experience.
Healthier alternative: Instead of reaching for high-calorie potato chips, these zucchini chips offer a nutritious alternative. They're light on calories and rich in beneficial nutrients.
Flavorful seasoning: The combination of kosher salt, garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper adds a delicious savory and slightly spicy taste to the zucchini chips.
Simple ingredients: You need zucchini and a just 4 seasonings
Zucchini: Adds a mild and refreshing flavor base for the chips while providing a satisfying crunch. Look for medium zucchini which are about 6 to 7 inches long and 1-½ to 2 inches wide.
Avocado oil: Helps in achieving a crispy texture and imparts a subtle richness to the chips.
Kosher salt: Enhances the overall taste and seasoning of the zucchini chips.
Garlic powder: Adds a savory and aromatic element to the chips.
Paprika: Contributes a hint of smokiness and a mild, earthy flavor to the zucchini chips.
Freshly ground black pepper: Provides a subtle heat and a touch of spiciness to enhance the taste of the chips.
How to Make Zucchini Chips
- Preheat the air fryer to 300 degrees F.
- Slice the zucchini into thin slices. A mandolin slicer is a great way to cut your slices. You don't want thick rounds as they will not get as crispy.
- Place the sliced zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with kosher salt. Toss them gently to distribute the salt. Let stand for 10 minutes to draw out excess moisture.
- Pat dry the zucchini slices dry with paper towel to remove any remaining moisture.
- In a large bowl, combine avocado oil, kosher salt, garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper.
- Toss the zucchini slices in the oil and seasoning mixture until evenly coated.
- Arrange the coated zucchini slices in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 300°F for 20 minutes or until the chips turn golden brown and crispy. There is no need to turn the zucchini during cooking because of the circulating hot air.
- Once done, transfer the zucchini chips to a wire cooling rack on a baking sheet to let them cool. Serve the zucchini chips alone or with a dipping sauce of your choice.
Dipping sauces that go great with crispy zucchini chips are ranch dressing, garlic aioli, or a marinara sauce.
(Note: The air fryer cooking time may vary slightly, so keep an eye on the chips to prevent them from overcooking.)
Parmesan Zucchini Chips. For a cheesy twist, mix grated Parmesan cheese with the seasoning mixture and coat the zucchini slices before air frying. This will add a savory and slightly salty flavor to the chips.
Italian Zucchini Chips Omit the garlic powder, paprika and pepper. Add an equivalent quantity of Italian Seasoning instead.
Substitute the garlic powder with onion powder.
Make spicy zucchini chips by adding a pinch of cayenne pepper to the seasoning mixture or a dash of chili powder.
Making this air fryer recipe for a party or larger crowd? You can follow the recipe exactly. You will need to make separate batches as putting more in the air fryer will not make them crispy. Transfer each batch to a wire rack. If you want to serve them warm, preheat your oven to 200 degrees F and place them in the oven either on the wire rack or on a piece of parchment paper.
Thin and Even Slices: Cut the zucchini slices into uniform thickness to ensure even cooking and crispiness. Using a mandoline slicer or a sharp knife can help achieve consistent thickness.
Proper Drying: Thoroughly pat dry the zucchini slices after salting to remove excess moisture. This step is crucial for achieving crispy chips.
Single Layer Arrangement: Arrange the zucchini slices in a single layer in the air fryer basket to allow proper air circulation. Overcrowding the basket may result in uneven cooking and less crispy chips.
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
To store leftover zucchini chips, allow them to cool completely and transfer them to an airtight container. Keep the container in a cool, dry place or the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To maintain their crispness, avoid stacking the chips on top of each other.
When it's time to reheat the leftovers, preheat your air fryer to 350°F and arrange the chips in a single layer in the basket. Air fry for a few minutes until they regain their crispiness. Alternatively, you can use an oven preheated to 350°F and bake the chips for a few minutes until heated through. Keep a close eye on them to prevent overcooking.
Note: While reheating can help restore some of the crispness, the texture may not be as perfect as when they were freshly made, so it's best to enjoy the zucchini chips soon after cooking for the optimal experience.
Crispy Air Fryer Zucchini Chips (No Breading}
- 2 medium size zucchini about 6 to 7 inches long and 1-½ to 2 inches wide
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the air fryer to 300°F.
- Slice the zucchini into ¼” slices.
- Place the sliced zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of the kosher salt. Gently toss the zucchini with the salt. Let stand 10 minutes. Transfer the zucchini to a work surface and pat dry.
- In a large bowl combine the avocado oil, the remaining kosher salt, the garlic powder, paprika, and the black peppee,
- Toss the zucchini slices in the oil and seasoning mixture.
- Arrange the zucchini in a single layer across the bottom of the air fryer basket.
- Air fry for 20 minutes or until chips are golden brown and crispy.
- Once done, transfer the zucchini chips to a wire rack on a baking sheet to let them cool. Serve the zucchini chips alone or with a dipping sauce of your choice.
- Serve alone or with a dipping sauce.