In my opinion, Instant Pot Artichokes are the ultimate conversation-food appetizer. There is something incredibly fun about pulling the leaves off steamed artichokes, dipping them in rich sauce and then scraping the delicate, meaty core.
💭 Why This Recipe Works
Instant Pot Artichokes are evenly steamed and ready to serve in 6 minutes. Steaming is the easiest way to make these lovely gems. Steamed artichokes don't get as water-logged as boiled artichokes so they have a wonderful taste and make a delightful presentation. Artichokes in a pressure cooker are ideal. For added benefit, artichokes are a super food powerhouse. So anytime you can pressure cook artichokes, not only do you have a delicious treat you also have a nutritious one too!
🔪 What Tools You Will Need
- An Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker of any size.
- A steam rack - the one that came with your Instant Pot. Or, a steamer basket that fits inside your Instant Pot. This steamer basket works perfectly in both your pressure cooker and in stovetop pots with a 6-inch or larger radius.
- A sharp knife for cutting off the stem and the top. You can also use kitchen shears to trim the tips of the leaves.
- Two medium artichokes. The artichokes should be no more than 4 inches in diameter to fit in the pot. You will arrange your Instant Pot artichokes upside down on the steam rack.
- For pressure cooking the artichokes, you will need lemon juice, vinegar, garlic cloves, fresh parsley, a bay leaf, kosher salt and black pepper.
- The garlic aioli is made with mayonnaise, the juice of 1 lemon, minced garlic, paprika and a pinch of salt. If you want spicier aioli, add chili powder to suit your tastes.
💭 How to Select the Best Artichokes
The leaves, called bracts, of the artichokes should be tightly packed. A few brown spot are okay. The stem most likely will be brown, but it shouldn't feel dry or slimy. This Instant Pot Artichokes recipe uses regular-size artichokes and not baby artichokes.
🔪 How to Trim Artichokes
To prepare the artichokes for pressure cooking, cut off the stem and 1-½ inches of the top. Using scissors, cut the sharp tips from the tops of the leaves. Remove any small, tough outer leaves near the It is also a good idea to squeeze a little lemon juice on the cut ends so they don't turn brown.
🍽 How To Eat an Artichoke
- Artichokes can be eaten hot or cold.
- Pull off outer leaves one at a time.
- Dip the bottom of the leaf in the garlic aioli.
- Pull the leaf gently through your teeth to scrape out the soft inner part of the leaf. Repeat until all the leaves are pulled off. Discard the leaves.
- Use a spoon or melon baller to scrape off the fuzzy center, called the choke, at the base. Discard the choke.
- Beneath the choke is the heart. The heart is shaped like a small shallow bowl. This coveted part of the Instant Pot artichokes is tender, slightly sweet and full of flavor. Cut it into bite-size pieces and either dip the heart or eat it just as is.
💬 The choke and the leaves (bract) of the Instant Pot artichokes are not poisonous. They are not eaten because the furry choke is unpleasant and could make you 'choke'. The leaves are extremely tough even after cooking artichokes in the pressure cooker and just don't have an appealing taste.
- Make sure you have a sharp knife and kitchen scissors. Artichoke leaves are tough!
- Be careful when trimming the leaves. The tip of the leaves has a sharp thorn.
- The aioli can be made ahead, covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature (about 30 minutes) before serving the Instant Pot artichokes.
- Steaming is the easiest way to make these lovely gems. Artichokes in the Instant Pot are evenly steamed and ready to serve in 6 minutes. Pressure cooker artichokes don't get as water-logged as boiled artichokes so they have a wonderful taste and make a delightful presentation.
- Test the pressure cooked artichokes. After a quick release, inserting a knife into the base of the artichokes should not encounter resistance. Also, the outside leaves should pull off easily. If your Instant Pot artichokes aren't quite done, cook the for 1 more minute.
- Adjust cooking time accordingly. If you have dense large artichokes, after testing you may need to add more cook time to these Instant Pot artichokes. I wouldn't add any time over the 6 minutes from the start. Always test first, unless you have made this Instant Pot artichokes recipe before.
🥣 More Artichoke Dipping Sauces
Replace the Garlic Aioli with:
- Garlic Butter: In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons unsalted butter. Stir in 1 clove of minced garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
- Garlic Mint: Combine ½ cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint leaves. 1 minced garlic clove, 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- Lemon Parsley Yogurt: Combine ½ cup plain yogurt, 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves. 1 minced garlic clove, and 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil.
- Creamy Parmesan Thyme: Blend ½ cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons whipping cream, 1 tablespoon sour cream, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons finely shredded parmesan cheese, and 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves.
- Mustard Shallot Vinaigrette: In a salad dressing mixer combine 1 minced shallot, 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, 2 teaspoons mustard, ½ teaspoon kosher salt and ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Close lid tightly. Shake to combine ingredients. In ¼ cup increments, add oil and shake. Continue adding oil ¼ cup at a time up to 1 cup total or to taste.
🧾 More Instant Pot Vegetarian Recipes
🍽 Serving Suggestions
As an Appetizer. Instant Pot artichokes would pair splendidly with an assortment of cheese, sautéed whole mushrooms, Air Fried Green Beans, or a simple charcuterie board with fresh veggies and more yummy. This wooden charcuterie board is perfect for your next wine and cheese party.
As a Side Dish. Instant Pot artichokes pair wonderfully with lamb, shellfish and chicken. Try them along with these Grilled Lamb Chops.
📋 Recipe Card
📋 Instant Pot Artichokes Recipe With Garlic Aioli for Dipping
- In a small bowl, whisk together minced garlic, paprika, a pinch of salt, chili powder (if using), mayonnaise and the juice of 1 lemon. Set aside.
- Cut the remaining lemon in half. Squeeze the juice into the Instant Pot and add the squeezed halves. Add garlic cloves, parsley sprigs, bay leaf, the remaining salt, pepper, water and vinegar. Place the steam rack in the pot. Place artichokes, bottom side up, on the rack.
- Close and lock the lid and turn the steam release handle to Sealing. Press Steam and adjust the time to 6 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, press Cancel and turn the steam release handle to Venting. When the float valve drops down, remove the lid. Check to make sure a knife inserted in the base of the artichokes encounters no resistance and the leaves pull easily from the base. (If more cooking is needed, continue steaming on High for 1 minute)
- Transfer artichokes to a serving platter, stem side down. Serve with aïoli for dipping the leaves as you pull them off the artichoke. When you reach the center of the artichoke, scrape away and discard the prickly fuzz covering the heart. Cut the heart into sections for dipping.