Crispy and tender air fryer potato wedges are better than potato wedges you find at your favorite restaurant. They're made with only 5 inexpensive ingredients and are ready to enjoy in less than 30 minutes. This easy homemade air fryer potato wedges recipe is great to make as a family-friendly side dish, appetizer, or snack any night of the week. Serve with tasty dipping sauces for the full experience!
Why You'll Love These Air Fried Potato Wedges
- Inexpensive. At a casual sit-down restaurant you can easily spend $10+ dollars on a serving of potato wedges. However, with only 5 simple ingredients needed to make air fryer potato wedges at home, you can prepare this recipe for only a couple of dollars, max.
- Wholesome ingredients. As mentioned above, there are just 5 wholesome ingredients in this air fryer potato wedges recipe. Potatoes, oil, and seasonings - that's it!
- Healthier potato wedges. Since they are made in the air fryer and not deep fried, these wedges have way few calories and fat than other fried potatoes. In many cases up to 85 percent less oil is used!
- Quick and easy. Versus some potato wedge recipes that require lots of prep work and long bake times, air fryer potato wedges are ready to enjoy in 30 minutes. Prep and soak time included! They only cook for 8 minutes, so they are great to "fry" up right before serving.
How to Make the Best Potato Wedges in an Air Fryer
- First, cut the potatoes lengthwise into ½ inch wedges. Place the wedges in a large bowl with water, and rinse thoroughly. Change out the water as needed until it runs clear. Drain the wedges, and then cover with warm tap water. Let them soak for 10 minutes.
- Next, drain the potatoes again and dry them on kitchen towels. Pat gently to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees. Wipe out the bowl you used to soak the potatoes.
- To the bowl add 1 tablespoon of the oil and the kosher salt. Add the potatoes and toss to coat.
- Transfer the wedges to the air fryer basket, and air fry for 8 minutes. Set the bowl aside. Give the potatoes a gently shake at the halfway mark.
- Then transfer the potatoes back to the bowl, and toss again. Add them back to the air fryer and continue to air fry for another 5 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining oil, salt, garlic, and pepper to the bowl. When the potato wedges have finished this round of frying, add them to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Increase the air fryer temperature to 400 degrees, and transfer the potatoes back into the basket. Fry for 20 minutes, checking and tossing the wedges approximately every 5 minutes.
- When the air fryer potato wedges are perfectly crispy brown, remove them from the fryer and place in a clean bowl. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauces.
Air Fryer Potato Wedges Serving Suggestions
Enjoy crispy wedges with your favorite dipping sauces! Some classics are ketchup, mustard, honey mustard, ranch or blue cheese dressing, barbecue sauce, garlic aioli, or other yummy condiments you love. Serve these air fryer potato wedges as a side to compliment nearly any main dish.
Air fryer potato wedges are delicious for a "meat and potatoes" meal alongside smoked tri tip or picanha steaks. And, of course, air fried potatoes are always great to enjoy with homemade burgers. You can also pair air fryer potato wedges with other comfort food mains, like flavorful Instant Pot chicken breasts, pulled smoked chuck roast sandwiches, and juicy pork chops.
- Parsley Potato Wedges: Add 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes to the seasonings in step 5. Or, you can sprinkle the air fried potato wedges with ½ teaspoon snipped fresh parsley right before serving.
- Seasoned Salt: Reduce the kosher salt to ½ teaspoon which is added in step 2. Omit the garlic powder and ground pepper. Add 1 teaspoon seasoned salt to the oil in step 5.
- Kick'n Wedges: Add ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste, in step 5.
- Southern-Style: Omit 1 teaspoon kosher salt and the garlic powder. Add 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar and ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper to the mixture in step 5. Before serving, season with kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Lemon-Parsley Wedges: Omit the black pepper. Add 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind and 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes in step 5.
- Italian Wedges: Omit 1 teaspoon of salt, the garlic powder and the black pepper. Add 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning to the wedges and oil in step 5. Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.
Storage and Reheating Tips
Leftover air fryer potato wedges can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. They are great to reheat for lunches, quick dinners, or as an afternoon snack. To reheat, add the potato wedges to the air fryer and set temperature to 275°F. Heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until the air fryer potato wedges are heated through and crisp. For longer storage, see the complete recipe card below for make ahead steps to freeze the air fryer potato wedges.
More Air Fryer Recipes You Will Enjoy
- Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
- Air Fryer Baked Potato
- Perfectly Crispy Air Fryer Tater Tots
- Golden Air Fryer Shrimp
- Air Fryer Green Beans
📋 Recipe Card
Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshy ground black pepper
- Cut potatoes lengthwise into ½-inch wedges. In a large bowl of water, add potatoes and rinse, changing water as needed, until water runs clear. Drain potatoes and cover with warm tap water. Let stand 10 minutes. Drain potatoes and transfer to a paper towel-line worked surface. Pat potatoes dry.
- Heat the air fryer to 350°F.
- Wipe the large bowl dry and add the potato wedges. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and 1 teaspoon kosher salt, tossing to coat the potatoes. Transfer potatoes to the air fryer basket. Set the bowl aside. Air fry potatoes for 8 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes to the reserved bowl and gently toss. Return potatoes to the air fryer and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until the potatoes are starting to soften.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, the remaining salt, the garlic, and the pepper to the bowl. Transfer potatoes to the bowl and toss to coat potato wedges. Increase the air fryer temperature to 400°F. Transfer the potatoes to the air fryer and cook, tossing gently every 5 minutes, 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Transfer wedges to a serving bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Suggested Condiments for Dipping
- Ketchup, mustard, honey mustard, ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, garlic aioli
- Select russet potatoes that are 5-inches long or less. The shorter length will make the wedges less likely to break during tossing.
- Rinsing the starch out of the potatoes allows them to get crispier during air frying. When the water runs clear, you are assured of the best results.
- Tossing the potato wedges in the bowl with the remaining oils and seasonings adds to the flavor and crispiness. Tossing the potatoes in the bowl is much easier and ensures better mixing. You can toss the wedges in the air fryer basket if you prefer.
- Leftover air fryer potato wedges can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. To reheat, add the potato wedges to the air fryer and set temperature to 275°F. Heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until wedges are heated through and crisp.
- Complete steps 1 to 4. In step 5, do not add the seasonings to the oil and potatoes. Complete the rest of step 5.
- Transfer wedges to a parchment lined baking sheet. Freeze wedges on sheet about 2 hours or until completely frozen.
- Using tongs, transfer wedges to a sealing storage bag. Potato wedges can be frozen up to 3 months.
- When ready to use, arrange wedges in the air fryer basket and heat air fryer to 325°F. Air fry for 7 minutes. Increase the heat to 400°F. Spray wedges with cooking spray and sprinkle with seasonings; toss well to coat. Cook 5 more minutes or until wedges are heated through and crispy.