Hello there! My name is Marilyn and I am the recipe developer, product and recipe tester, and editor here at Maven Cookery. I am also a best selling cookbook author.
Many of my favorite experiences have been cooking and sharing great meals with family and friends. My mom taught me how to cook. Her amazing comfort foods and use of garden fresh vegetables influence my cooking and the recipes you will find on Maven Cookery. Cooking, eating, writing this blog and my cookbooks are what I absolutely love doing professionally in my second act!
In my first act, I had a long, successful career in corporate finance. During that time, I traveled the world and ate out in restaurants for almost every meal. Not only did I experience amazing cuisines and cultures, but I developed a love and appreciation for home-cooked meals.
To me, cooking is a creative expression and a way to unwind. I appreciate that not everyone feels that way. So my goal with this blog is to show you how you can make great food your family will love using simple ingredients and tested step-by-step instructions.
What You’ll Find on Maven Cookery
I am obsessed with small kitchen appliances, gadgets, and spices and I incorporate these into my recipes. With inspiration from down-home comfort foods, I develop recipes that not only are bursting with flavor, but are easier and faster for today’s home cooks.
As a cookbook author with over a dozen published titles, my recipes contain detailed instructions that anyone can use to make delicious meals. These recipes have been tested and many have been reviewed and tested by my food editor. My goal is to help you get wonderful food on the table in less time and with less hassle.
Aside from sharing my recipes, I will try not to bore you with the mundane details of my everyday activities. Maven Cookery recipes will explain the reasons I recommend using certain ingredients and why certain steps are important. If you are a more experienced cook or don’t want to take the time to read through the whole blog post, feel free to just jump to the recipe. Everything you need to make the recipe, will be in the recipe card.
As a lover of comfort food, spices, and easy to prepare meals, you will find recipes here that have exceptional flavor with minimal work and ingredients. I get my inspiration from time tested homemade recipes and exploring new flavors and cooking methods.
I am confident you will be able to take away some great recipes that you, your family and friends will truly appreciate. And please, if you have any questions or comments reach out to me here or on social media.
More About Marilyn
- My education is in Accounting and Finance with an MBA. While not your typical trained chef, it sure helps with the accuracy of my recipes!
- I left Corporate America shortly after my daughter was born. I wanted to spend as much time with her and my aging mother as I could.
- I am beyond proud of that little girl who is now a First Responder and finishing Medical School in NYC to become an ER Doctor.
- I am obsessed with small appliances and kitchen gadgets. My cookbooks feature appliances such as the Instant Pot, Nutribullet, Breakfast Sandwich Maker and Spiralizer.
- I currently live in Madison, WI with my two cats Apollo and Sophie. They are rescued siblings. Their antics keep me entertained almost more than cooking!
Marilyn Haugen has been featured in TODAY.com, Brit + Co, Instant Pot, Backpacker.com, NJ.com, DailyMail.com, Kosher.com, Montreal Gazette, Robert Rose, Foodgawker and Yummly, among others.