If you love risotto but are weary of how hands-on risotto is to make on the stovetop, you’re going to love how easy Instant Pot Risotto is to make. It's not only fuss-free but the results are consistently fabulous!
Instant Pot Risotto is one of my go-to dishes for a simple meal or an elegant dinner. I love the taste and texture, and the way it complements so many main dishes. It can even be a tasty, filling entrée on its own if you add shrimp, scallops, mushrooms, peas, asparagus, or other vegetables.
Instant Pot Risotto Ingredients
This recipe is a wonderful foundational recipe for Instant Pot Risotto. It makes a delicious side dish. Also, you can use this recipe as your base and stir in mushrooms, peas, asparagus, or shrimp, if desired. Here are the core ingredients to make this easy risotto.
Risotto Rice is a white short-grain rice. The Italian varieties are regarded as the best variety. Arborio rice is the one used to make risotto most often. It is readily available and results in a creamy, compact risotto.
Onion and Garlic: Chop an onion and mince some garlic to give you that added depth of flavor that will make your risotto shine. You can omit the onion, if you prefer, but I wouldn't skip out on the garlic!
Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth adds more flavor than plain water. Make sure it is low-sodium so you don't have salty risotto. You can also use a low-sodium chicken broth in place of the vegetable. I also like to use the low-sodium variation of my Instant Pot Chicken Stock which makes this dish purely homemade.
Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese that freshly grated is the ideal cheese to blend into risotto. You can however, use parmesan for both cost and accessibility. If you want to use pre-grated cheese, check the packaging to make sure there is no flour or other ingredients added that cause your cheese not to blend as well.
Herbs are optional. Fresh thyme, basil or rosemary mix wonderfully with risotto and can add the right match of flavors to you main dish.
Nutmeg is also optional, but added just a couple grates adds a nice touch.
This creamy, subtly flavored Instant Pot Risotto is mouth-watering in every bite.Check out the recipe Variations for more ways to make this risotto so it goes well with your main course.
Instant Pot Risotto (Always Perfect)
- 1 ½ tablespoons pure olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup hot water approx.
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter optional
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté on Normal. When the display says Hot, add oil and heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add rice, stirring to coat with oil. Press Cancel. Stir in broth,
- Close and lock the lid and turn the steam release handle to Sealing. Set your Instant Pot to pressure cook on High for 4 minutes.
- When the cooking time is done, press Cancel and turn the steam release handle to Venting. When the float valve drops down, remove the lid. The rice should be al dente. (If more cooking time is needed, continue pressure cooking on High for 1 minute.)
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté on Normal. Add cheese and butter (if using); cook, stirring and adding more hot water or broth, if desired, for 1 to 3 minutes or until rice is done to your liking. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.