Pan Fried Cod With an Herb Butter Sauce
This easy and delicious Pan Fried Cod is finished with an extraordinary herb infused butter sauce. Cod make a great meal as it is packed with nutrients, easy to find, reasonably priced, and can be cooked up in many different ways. Our favorite Pan Fried Cod dish takes just minutes to make and is wonderful tasting.
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 5 ounce cod fillets
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or other neutral flavored oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teapoon dried tarragon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Using paper towels, pat cod fillets dry. Season fillets with salt and pepper.
In a shallow bowl, add the flour. Add fish to flour and coat it lightly with the flour. Shake off any excess.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil and heat until shimmering. Add the fish and cook, turning once, about 6 to 8 minute or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Before turning, wait until fish lifts easily off of the skillet. Transfer cod to serving plates, tent with foil and keep warm. Wipe out skillet.
Add the butter to the skillet and cook until melted. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute or until fragrant.
Remove skillet from the heat. Stir in the tarragon and lemon juice. Drizzle the butter sauce over each cod fillet. Serve immediately.
- Use haddock, pollock, or grouper in place of the cod. Make sure they are ¾-inch to 1-inch in thickness.
- Add 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme and omit the tarragon.
- Mix in a pinch of cayenne pepper or saffron to the flour.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard into the butter mixture.
- Use 1 teaspoon of capers and caper juice in place of the tarragon and lemon juice.
Calories: 232kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 78mg | Potassium: 585mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 188IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 1mg