The beauty of making Air Fryer Asparagus is that you can dive into this delicious spring vegetable in just 15 minutes or less!
Fast and fuss free, air fryer asparagus is abundant with flavor from a few simple pantry ingredients and high-temperature circulating air. For tender-crispy asparagus, cooking asparagus in your air fryer is the best!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Air fryer asparagus gets done in a fraction of the time it takes to make roasted asparagus in your oven.
- A few simple pantry ingredients are all it takes to bring this recipe easy air fryer recipe together in a snap!
- This recipe takes advantage of this abundant springtime vegetable that has few calories, is low carb, and packed with vitamins and minerals.
- Easy dish for one or two people without having to heat up your whole oven.
- Easily one of the best ways to cook asparagus is roasting because it enhances the flavor of the asparagus.
- Efficient cooking method - fewer cubic feet to heat up and faster cooking time.
What to Know About the Ingredients
Select asparagus spears that are approximately the same diameter. This will help the air fryer roasted asparagus get done at the same time. Large to extra-large spears, ½ to ⅝-inch diameter, cook better in the air fryer.
The asparagus tips should be tightly closed, and the spears bright green and blemish free.
The tough whiter ends of the asparagus should be snapped off before cooking. Hold the tougher end in between 2 fingers and with your other hand, use 2 fingers to hold the spear above the woody ends. Then, bend the stalk to snap the end off. The ends can be discarded or used in making stocks.
You can stick to the basics - kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper are perfect. I often add some minced garlic or garlic powder because, well, what’s a recipe without garlic - especially air fryer asparagus!
- Shaved or grated parmesan cheese
- Thinly sliced lemons, lemon juice or lemon zest
- A pinch or two of crushed red pepper flakes
- Roasted slivered almonds
- Crumbled bacon
- Panko bread crumbs before air frying
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Wrapped in bacon
- Drizzle of balsamic vinegar reduction
- Hollandaise sauce
- Melted butter with herbs such as minced chives, garlic, parsley, or tarragon
Fresh asparagus is best prepared within 3 days of purchase. Cooking asparagus the same day you purchased it is ideal.
You can freeze asparagus for up to 1 year. Parboil the asparagus should before freezing. To parboil, put the spears in the boiling water for 1 minute. Using tongs, plunge them ice water for 30 seconds. Pat the spears dry and place is a freezer safe container.
Cook frozen asparagus in the air fryer without defrosting first. The circulating air in the air fryer warms and dries the frozen asparagus. You may need to slightly increase the cooking time.
Air fried asparagus can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
How To Make Air Fryer Asparagus
- Preheat the air fryer.
- Toss the asparagus with oil, kosher salt and your choice of seasonings.
- Arrange the asparagus spears in the air fryer basket so they are not overlapping.
- Air Fry according to the temperature and time in the recipe card. Because the asparagus' cooking time is fast, time your other dishes so they are ready at the same time as this air fryer asparagus recipe.
Serving Suggestions For Asparagus
- Spectacular Eye of Round Roast
- Deliciously Lean and Tender Rump Roast
- Baked Cod Recipe (One Dish and 15 Minutes)
- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin with Maple Dijon Sauce
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Golden Air Fryer Shrimp With Special Sauce
- Crazy Good Air Fryer Burgers
- Perfectly Crispy Air Fryer Tater Tots
- Air Fryer Green Beans
Now it is time to dive in to one of the best air fryer recipes!
📋 Recipe Card
Air Fryer Asparagus - Crispy and Tender
- 1 pound asparagus
- Grapeseed oil or Canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic optional
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Snap or cutoff the white, woodier portion at the bottom end of the asparagus spears. Set aside the ends. (See Tips)
- Rinse asparagus. Using a paper towel, pat spears dry and place in a shallow dish.
- Drizzle the grapeseed oil over the asparagus, tossing to coat. Season with salt. Sprinkle with minced garlic, if using, and toss. Arrange spears inside the air fryer basket without overlapping.
- Air fry 6 to 9 minutes, or until crisp-tender and browned in spots.
- A one pound bunch of asparagus has approximately 12 to 15 spears depending upon their diameter.
- This recipe serves 2 to 3 people depending upon what other dishes are being served with it.
- Large (½ inch diameter) or Extra Large (⅝ inch diameter) are ideal sizes for roasting and air frying.
- When selecting a bunch of asparagus, look for long, blemish-fresh, bright green spears with closed, compact tips.
- Select bunches with similar sized spears. Spears of a similar diameter will cook more evenly.