Festive Instant Pot Potato Salad
Summer get-togethers call for a creamy, refreshing homemade bowl of potato salad. Instant Pot Potato Salad is super quick and easy to make. Like all classic potato salads, this recipe includes all the great flavors you expect in this family-favorite side dish.
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Pinch granulated sugar optional
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 ½ cups water
- 3 pounds yellow potatoes, scrubbed and cut into chunks
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion about ⅓ of a medium onion
- 4 large eggs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Hungarian paprika optional
- Green onions, sliced optional
In a small bowl, combine the dill, sugar, mayonnaise, vinegar and mustard. Set aside.
Add water to the pot. Place a steamer basket in the bottom of the pot. Add potatoes to the basket. Arrange the eggs on top of the potatoes.
Close and lock the lid and turn the steam release handle to Sealing. Set your Instant Pot to pressure cook on High for 4 minutes.
When the cooking time is done, press Cancel and turn the steam release handle to Venting. When the float valve drops down, remove the lid. The potatoes should be fork-tender when pierced. (If more cooking time is needed, close and lock the lid for 1 minute.)
Transfer eggs to a bowl of cold water to chill. Remove the inner pot with the steamer basket and potatoes from the base unit. Drain the hot water from the pot. Partially fill the pot with cold water to stop the potatoes from cooking. While the potatoes are still warm, drain them and transfer to the bowl with the dressing. Add the onions. Stir gently to combine.
Peel the eggs and cut into wedges. Fold eggs into the potato salad. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Chill salad at least 1 hour and up to 2 days before serving.
Sprinkle with paprika, if using. Serve garnished with green onions, if using.
** If you don’t have a steamer basket, you have 2 options. Arrange the potatoes on top of the steam rack that came with your Instant Pot. You will need to be more careful transferring the potatoes to and from the pot. You could also put the potatoes directly in the pot with the water and arrange the eggs on top. Reduce the amount of water to 1 cup and the cooking time to 3 minutes.
- Replace the mayonnaise with a salad dressing such as Miracle Whip or with plain yogurt. After mixing the dressing, adjust the other ingredients to your taste.
- Substitute red or yellow onions for the red onions.
- Exchange the fresh dill for fresh parsley, thyme, lemon thyme, or chives.
- Use a Dijon mustard or grainy mustard in place of the yellow mustard.
- Use 2 tablespoons pickle relish or shredded pickles. Reduce the amount of vinegar to 1 teaspoon and then add more as needed to taste.
- Add ½ cup to ¾ cup finely chopped celery to the potatoes along with the onions in step 6.
Calories: 358kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 236mg | Potassium: 767mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 137IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 2mg