Spaghetti Carbonara (Simple Comfort Food)
A wonderfully delicious pasta dish that is loaded with cheese and bacon and can be on the table in just 20 minutes and with only 5 ingredients.
- Kosher salt
- 12 oz spaghetti
- 10 oz thick cut bacon or pancetta, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves optional
Bring a large pot of salted water to boiling.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium high heat, add the bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 5 to 7 minutes. Reserve 2 tbsp bacon fat and discard remainder. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute or until fragrant. Remove skillet from heat.
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese; set aside.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Before draining, set aside 1 cup pasta water; drain pasta. Whisk ¼ cup reserved pasta water into egg mixture,
Transfer pasta to the skillet and toss with the bacon fat. Very slowly stream egg mixture in skillet, tossing constantly, about 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and egg is thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add reserved pasta water, one tbsp at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
Serve garnished with parsley, if using.
- Thick cut of bacon, when diced, makes for the ideal sized pieces so every mouthful has bacon it it. Pancetta also works well.
- You can omit the egg yolks, if preferred, and stir in a little heavy cream to give it the consistency you desire.
- Work quickly to stir the egg mixture into the warm skillet to make sure the eggs don't start to cook before the sauce forms.
- Feel free to use shredded parmesan cheese in place of the Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese.
Calories: 772kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 243mg | Sodium: 912mg | Potassium: 404mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 639IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 347mg | Iron: 2mg