This Spanish Omelette is a wonderfully simple dish composed of eggs, potatoes and onions. The Spanish Omelette is traditionally served as Tapas - appetizers or small plates. Spanish Tapas, like appetizers, cover a wide range of dishes and should be on your must try list.
You may even find this dish referred to as a Spanish Tortilla, although is isn't anything like the Mexican tortilla. It's also known as a Spanish Omelet, which is just a slight and acceptable variation on the spelling.
The Spanish Omelet is hands down the most popular Tapas in Spain!
One of the terrific features of the Spanish Omelet is that it actually tastes better cold than hot. Which is most likely why it makes a perfect appetizer. You can make this Spanish Tapas anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours before serving. You can freeze a Spanish Omelet for up to 3 months.
As Tapas, they can be served with meats, cheeses, olives, sweet peppers, pickled onions, meatballs, nuts and assorted vegetables.
A side salad is a perfect accompaniment to Spanish omelets. You can make a salad of greens with a light balsamic vinaigrette or try this Cucumber with Tomato Salad which would be a refreshing pairing.
Wine is the perfect drink to serve with tapas. In Spain, these types of dishes are served mid-day as a snack and an opportunity to visit. Tapas are not just a type of food, they are a style of eating. Why not try a Spanish wine too!
Enough "talking" - here's the recipe! Give it a try and please let me know how it worked out for you...
Spanish Omelette (Spanish Tortilla)
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 8 eggs beaten
- 3 large potatoes peeled and sliced thinly, lengthwise
- In a large pan, over medium-high heat, sauté onions in olive oil until translucent.
- Add potatoes and sauté gently until soft.
- Add eggs and allow to cook, 5-7 minutes, loosening the omelet from the pan with a spatula.
- When the omelet is browned on one side, place a plate, larger than the pan, over the pan, and flip!
- Slide the omelet back into the pan on its opposite side and cook until browned.
- Cut omelette into wedges to serve.
- This will serve 6 as an appetizer or 4 as a main dish.
- Cut the Spanish Omelette into 1-½ to 2-inch chunks and serve on toothpicks as an appetizer.