Roasted chicken thighs are seasoned with a special blend of spices that add the incredible flavors. The super easy preparation and higher oven temperature makes for ridiculously crispy and moist chicken that is family-friendly.
Inspired by my love for roasted chicken with a crispy skin and moist insides, these roasted chicken thighs are all that and more. The mixture of herbs and spices gives the chicken just the perfect amount of flavor and the higher oven heat makes the skin crispy without drying it out.
What I Love About This Chicken Thighs Recipe
These roasted chicken thighs are incredibly easy to get ready and into the oven. The cooking time is 45 minutes, so that is a longer than you may want for a quick weeknight meal, but that cooking time is entirely hands off. The smell of the chicken roasting with the aromatics will make your mouth water and send those hungry family members racing to the table for the best crispy and moist chicken thighs.
Ingredients for Roasted Chicken Thighs in the Oven
Bone-In Skin-On Chicken Thighs. It is important to use chicken thighs that have the bone-in and skin-on for best results with the recommended cooking temperature and time.
Chicken thighs can vary in weight significantly, ranging from 2.50 to 10.50 ounces per thigh according to the USDA. For this recipe, look for chicken thighs that weigh about 6 oz each, or 2-1/4 lbs for 6 thighs. They will yield about 3.5 to 4 oz of meat per thigh, which is approximately 384 calories and the recommended serving size for proteins. While this may not seem like a large enough serving, keep in mind that you will be making a side dishes too. (Personally, I can only eat one thigh and I have a big appetite). If you have someone at your table that likes to eat two thighs, then you will want to adjust the number of servings this recipe makes.
Seasonings. The chicken is seasoned with a blend of paprika, garlic powder, white pepper, thyme, sage, mustard, and dill. The thighs are then crowned with fresh rosemary.
Tips on How To Make Amazing Roasted Chicken Thighs
If you want to skip these cooking tips Jump to Recipe
- Use a large cast iron pan because the higher sides reduce the amount of grease that tends to spatter in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. This temperature will make the crispy skin without drying out the center.
- Make sure to pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. This step will help make the skin much crispier.
- Use tongs to turn the thighs so they are evenly coated with the oil. Only use the amount of oil needed to coat the chicken.
- The seasoning is a blend of spices that I especially love for skin on chicken thighs. Sprinkle it on the chicken and top with the rosemary.
- Wondering how long to bake chicken thighs at 425? Pop it in the oven and you are 45 minutes away from delicious, crispy, moist roasted chicken thighs.
* If you don’t have a cast iron pan, you can cover a sheet pan with foil to bake the chicken thighs.
* Canola oil has a high smoke point and a neutral taste which is why it’s used in the recipe.
* White pepper is used by several outstanding fried chicken restaurants. If you don’t have it, buy some – it is so worth it!
* You can double or triple the seasoning recipe and store it in an airtight container. The seasoning is also great on fish.
Hear are Great Side Dishes for Roasted Chicken Thighs
In the picture is a simple lettuce salad with tomatoes, apples and a balsamic vinaigrette.
Sheet Pan Brussels Sprouts and Potatoes from 100 Days of Real Food – the oven temperature in this dish is 425°F which is what you need for your chicken thighs and the cooking time is about 15 minutes less. Not only that, but they taste wonderful alongside the roasted thighs.
Roasted Chicken Thighs (Family-Friendly)
- 3 tbsp canola oil approximately
- 2 1/4 lbs bone-in skin-on chicken thighs about 6 thighs
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
Roasted Chicken Spices
- In a small bowl, combine salt, paprika, garlic powder, white pepper, thyme, sage, mustard, and dill. Set aside.
- Using a paper towel, pat chicken thighs dry. Place chicken thighs in a cast iron pan and drizzle with oil. Turn thighs to coat completely with oil. Arrange thighs in pan skin side up. Sprinkle with spice mixture. Scatter the fresh rosemary leaves over the top of the chicken.
- Bake chicken in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until juices run clear when pierced with a fork.
Updated 4/19/2020 for a better reader experience