These roasted baby potatoes are the crispy, delicious potatoes you dream about. Oven roasted potatoes are so amazingly easy to make and have wonderfully crispy skin with tender insides.
[lwptoc depth="2" hierarchical="0"]
Why We Love This Recipe
- So easy to make.
- They go well with so many dishes.
- Crispy skins
- Creamy potato inside
- Easy to change up seasonings and herbs
- Oil. I like to use canola oil or another neutral oil that doesn't add taste to the potatoes. If you prefer another type of oil, that is fine too as long as it has a high smoke point.
- Garlic. Minced in the jar or cloves. You can also substitute ½ teaspoon garlic powder in place of the fresh garlic.
- Salt and Pepper. I use a kosher or sea salt for that extra bit of crisp. Freshly ground black pepper is the best choice.
- Herbs. You can use dried or fresh herbs. I like using herbs de Provence which is a combination of herbs that is not only easy, but pairs nicely with baby roasted potatoes. I also like to use fresh rosemary or fresh thyme (or both) if I have them on hand.
- Baby Potatoes.
What Kind of Potatoes to Use
To roast baby potatoes, I like to use potatoes that are evenly sized and about 1-½ inches in diameter. I can keep the skin on the potatoes and do not have to cut them into pieces. This make preparing roasted baby potatoes so easy!
The potato that I am absolutely in love with and is perfect for making roasted baby potatoes is the creamer potato. You may have seen these tiny potatoes displayed in small pouches in your produce department. You can find them in assorted colors, pre-seasoned, or plain.
Creamer potatoes are evenly sized which makes them easy to get done all at the same time. As the Little Potato Company notes, they are bred to be small just like cherry tomatoes are in the tomato family.
Creamer potatoes have a nutritious skin which you don't need to peel. These little potatoes are already cleaned and ready to go, eliminating one more preparation step for your roasted baby potatoes.
If you can't find creamer potatoes, find the smallest and evenly sized potatoes you can to make baby roast potatoes. If you need to cut a few in half to make them consistent in size, it is just fine.
How to Roast Perfect Potatoes
- Clean your potatoes, if necessary. If you used water, make sure your potatoes are perfectly dry.
- Combine the oil - either vegetable or olive oil works, herbs, and spices.
- Toss the baby potatoes in the seasoned oil.
- Arrange potatoes on the baking sheet. You do not want to crowd the potatoes as that will cause the potatoes to steam. If the potatoes have space around them, they will roast and crisp nicely.
- Use a silicone flipper to toss the potatoes during roasting.
- Check the potatoes about half way through cooking and check occasionally to make sure they don't burn or dry out.
- Try our Roasted Carrots and Potatoes
- Substitute baby red potatoes for the gold mini potatoes.
- Roasted Baby Potatoes With Parmesan: Add 2-½ tablespoons grated parmesan cheese to the oil and herb mixture in step 2.
- Roasted Baby Potatoes with Rosemary: Add 1 tablespoon dried rosemary in place of the herbs de Provence. To use fresh rosemary, add 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves.
- Roasting Small Potatoes. If your potatoes are slightly larger in diameter or are uneven in size, then cut your small potatoes into halves or chunks to make roughly equal size pieces. It is okay to have whole small potatoes alongside potato halves.
- Serve the crispy potatoes as appetizers. Add appetizer picks and a sour cream dip to go with them.
What to Serve With These Baby Potatoes
- Deliciously Lean and Tender Rump Roast
- Juicy Smoked Whole Chicken
- Mouthwatering Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Golden Juicy Pan Fried Pork Chops
Roasted Baby Potatoes go great with just about anything. If you want a delicious easy side dish for an everyday dinner or as a holiday feast, get ready to make this super tasty baby potatoes recipe!
More Delicious Side Dish Recipes
- Sweet and Crispy Roasted Carrots and Potatoes
- Easy Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Easy Sautéed Green Beans with Brown Butter and Almonds
Crispy and Tender Roasted Baby Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence divided
- 1-¼ teaspoons minced garlic about 3 cloves
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil divided
- 1 pound small gold-skinned potatoes scrubbed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large heavy baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the herbs de Provence, garlic, and oil until combined. Add the potatoes and toss to coat. Season the potatoes generously with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Transfer the potatoes to the prepared baking sheet. Arrange potatoes so there is space between them.
- Roast the potatoes, turning occasionally, for 55 minutes or until crispy outside and tender when pierced with a fork. Transfer the roasted potatoes to a decorative platter and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and herbes de Provence, if desired. Serve hot or warm.
- Transfer potatoes to a serving dish and serve warm.