Scallop Tacos are shear delight. I honestly can't decide which I love more - pan seared scallops or tacos. Well, this lady wants her scallops and tacos too! Together they satisfy all my cravings for a quick and easy mouth-watering version of fish tacos.
The scallops are quickly sautéed and arranged on tortillas. Top them with a tangy, crunchy slaw and a creamy, spicy, avocado sauce. The avocado sauce is great for dipping tortilla chips in too. Win-win.
For the taco topping, feel free to use any one of your favorite packaged shredded cabbage blends or broccoli slaw. They work nicely on the scallops, especially if you want to make these tacos quickly.
I really enjoy this Cabbage Slaw for Tacos recipe. It is made with cabbage, red onions and jicama that are cut into the perfect size and crunch for pairing with the scallops. You can use a spiralizer or mandoline to slice the veggies, or just cut them with a chef's knife. But seriously the spiralizer is a gem to have in your kitchen.
These pan seared scallops get a nice golden brown edge from quick pan searing and the browned butter. The smell and color of the searing scallops is a delight to behold. If you can wait a tad longer, serve them in the tortillas, with the tangy crunch slaw and the spicy avocado sauce. I prefer flour tortillas, but corn tortillas work just as well.
So if you are ready for taco night or to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, it's time for you to dive into these golden pan-seared scallops that can be whipped up for an easy weeknight dinner.
[custom-related-posts title="You May Also Enjoy These Mexican Recipes" none_text="None found" order_by="title" order="ASC"]
Pan Seared Scallops for Tacos
Spicy Avocado Sauce
- 1 large avocado chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper minced (see tips)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 extra virgin olive oil
- 12 oz small sea scallops 50 to 60 count
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 12 taco-size tortillas
Cabbage Slaw for Tacos
- In a food processor, combine avocado, jalapeño, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper to taste, water and lime juice; process until smooth. Transfer to a small serving bowl, cover and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add scallops, in small batches to avoid crowding, and cook, turning once, for 1 minute per side or until firm and opaque; add more oil as needed in between batches. Immediately arrange scallops on tortillas, dividing evenly. Top with cabbage mixture and avocado sauce.