This Mediterranean breakfast frittata is a fantastic, satisfying addition to your morning routine. Filled with fresh vegetables and packed with good nutrients, you just can't go wrong with this scrumptious frittata. Whenever I can, I love to have these delicious frittatas ready to go for me in the morning.
You can follow the ingredients as listed using the asparagus, mushrooms, and leeks or substitute with other types of vegetables such a roasted red peppers, onions or artichokes. You can even add diced ham, bacon or prosciutto if you prefer. Just keep the volume of ingredients in balance and you have the template for a healthy and mouthwatering Mediterranean breakfast.
Mediterranean Breakfast Frittata with Egg Whites
- 6 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 oz sliced baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 cup goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and egg whites. Stir in parmesan cheese and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, add oil and heat until shimmering. Add leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes or until starting to soften. Add asparagus and mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes or until asparagus and mushrooms have softened and mushrooms have released most of their moisture.
- Pour egg mixture into skillet. Using a nonstick spatula, cook eggs, gently pull eggs across the pan, 2 minutes or until just beginning to set on the bottom. Sprinkle goat cheese over the top.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until center is set.
- Using your spatula, loosen edges and slide out onto serving plate to serve immediately.