From the heartlands comes this Kansa City Barbecue Sauce recipe. In a city known for some of the best BBQ in the U.S., you won't be disappointed with this BBQ sauce recipe that hits all the flavor notes.
If you want to start with the best ingredients for bbq sauce that will make your bbq ribs stand out, then this sauce recipe will deliver. You can make up a large batch and refrigerate it for up to 2 weeks or freeze it for up to 3 months. Make it once and use it again and again!
Kansas City Barbecue Sauce
This homemade version of the classic Kansas City bbq sauce is sweet, smoky, tangy and spicy all rolled into one amazing barbecue sauce.
- ¼ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1-½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon celery seeds
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke optional
- 2 tablespoon cold butter, cubed
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the sugar, onion powder, kosher salt, celery seeds, garlic powder, chili powder, pepper, cumin, cayenne, ketchup, vinegar, mustard, lemon juice and liquid smoke. Cook, stirring, until boiling. Reduce heat to simmering and cook, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes or until mixture is thickened to your liking. Whisk in butter until incorporated into the sauce. Let cool slightly before using.The sauce can be used immediately or covered tightly and refrigerated up to 2 weeks or frozen up to 3 months.
A 2 tablespoon bbq sauce per serving is used in my calculations.
Calories: 46kcalCarbohydrates: 8gProtein: 1gFat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 309mgPotassium: 54mgFiber: 1gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 171IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 7mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was @MavenCookery or tag #mavencookery!
Leave a Reply