For a fast, fuss-free meal in minutes, this Instant Pot frozen chicken breasts recipe is perfect. No thawing the chicken breasts, simple seasonings and one pot cooking makes Instant Pot frozen chicken breasts a win-win.
What I Love About This Recipe
- No thawing. You can cook these chicken breasts straight out of the freezer.
- Moist and tender. Instant Pot frozen chicken breasts come out moist, tender and delicious every time.
- Quick and easy. Under 20 minutes and Instant Pot frozen chicken breasts are ready to be served with no fuss and no mess.
- Scalable. You can easily make more Instant Pot frozen chicken breasts at one time as long as they fit side-by-side on the steaming rack in the pot. You don't need to increase the amounts of the chicken broth or bay leaf.
- Versatile. You can serve these chicken breasts right out of the Instant Pot or prep them for later. I love that I can shred the chicken breasts and either refrigerate or freeze them for another recipe such as this Chicken Tinga or this Enchiladas Verdes recipe.
- Healthy. Chicken breast is an excellent source of protein with a good balance of vitamins and minerals.
How To Make Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breasts
- Season the frozen chicken breasts on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken broth, the bay leaf and the steamer rack to the Instant Pot.
- Arrange the frozen chicken breasts on the rack.
- Pressure cook on High for 10 minutes. When the cooking time in done, cancel the cooking but let the pot stand for 5 minutes before releasing the pressure. This extra 5 minutes adds to the cooking time but mostly makes the meat juicier.
- Transfer the chicken breasts to a carving board and let rest for another 5 minutes.
- If you are serving immediately as your main course, slice the breasts across the grain and arrange on serving plates.
- To shred the Instant Pot frozen chicken breasts for other recipes, use two forks and pull the chicken apart. You may also want to slice or cube your chicken breasts depending upon your preferences.
For additional tips about using your Instant Pot check out my article on How To Use The Instant Pot.
Instant Pot frozen chicken breasts can be made ahead of time.
- If you purchased frozen chicken breasts, they can be frozen in a tightly sealed package up to 9 months. They can be frozen in either their original packaging or in tightly sealed packaging of your choice.
- If you purchased fresh chicken breasts, they should be refrigerated and cooked or frozen within 2 days of purchase.
- Once you freeze your chicken breasts, they should be used within 9 months.
- Cooked chicken can be refrigerated for up to 4 days and frozen for up to 4 months.
Tips For Best Results
- Do not wash your chicken breasts. Washing can cause cross-contamination of bacteria to other surfaces.
- Use an Instant-Read Thermometer to test doneness. This is the easiest and safest way to determine if your meat is done. I like this meat thermometer as you can use it both as an instant-read or oven-safe thermometer.
- Note that the cooking times in the Instant Pot frozen chicken breasts recipe does not include the time for your Instant Pot to come to pressure or to release pressure. It may take up to 10 minutes to come to pressure.
- Chicken breasts will shrink about 25 percent after cooking. If you want to adjust your servings or serving sizes allow for that amount of shrinkage.
Italian Chicken Breasts: Season the chicken breasts with an Italian Seasoning blend. Serve the Instant Pot frozen chicken breasts with a side of garlic and butter linguine. Garnish with shaved parmesan.
Mediterranean Chicken: Season the chicken breasts with a Mediterranean Seasoning blend. This works especially well if you are using the sliced chicken breasts in a salad. Add cucumbers, tomatoes, Kalamata olives and feta cheese to the salad also.
Cajun Chicken and Rice: Season the Instant Pot frozen chicken breasts with a Cajun seasoning blend. Serve with red beans and rice.
Alternative Seasonings: Paprika, thyme, rosemary, garlic powder, parsley, and lemon pepper are all wonderful seasonings to add to Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breasts if you are serving them as your main course.
Cucumber Tomato Salad
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes
Mouthwatering Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
Instant Pot Pork Roast With a Classic Seasoning Rub
Tender Meaty Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs
Melt-In-Your-Mouth Instant Pot Pot Roast
If you like this Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breasts recipe, please let me know in the comments below and rate the recipe! I always love to hear from you!
You can find more easy recipes like this in my 5 Ingredient Instant Pot Recipes cookbook which was Authorized by Instant Pot!
Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breasts Recipe
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 6 ounces each
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf optional
- Season chicken breasts all over with salt and pepper.
- Pour broth into the Instant Pot. Add the bay leaf, if using. Place steam rack in the pot. Arrange chicken breasts on the rack.
- Close and lock the lid and turn the steam release handle to sealing. Set your Instant Pot to pressure cook on High for 8 minutes.
- When the cooking time is done, press Cancel and let stand 5 minutes. Turn the steam release handle to venting. When the float valve drops down, remove the lid. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast, should register 165°F. If more cooking time is needed, continue pressure cooking on high for 2 minutes.
- Transfer chicken breasts to a cutting board, tent with foil and let rest 5 minutes or until ready to carve or to shred.
- Serve or refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 6 months.
- Storage information was sourced from the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service.