This Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup is everyone's favorite soup to eat when feeling under the weather or anytime you crave downhome comfort food. Family members of all ages love this soup. It can be frozen and reheated anytime you have a craving for a quick and easy chicken noodle soup.
The taste and smell of homemade chicken noodle soup is heavenly. My grandma and mom use to make their chicken noodle soup from scratch with whole chickens and vegetables we picked from my grandpa's garden.
However, the time it took to make it was daunting and few of us want to or can spend that time anymore. With the Instant Pot you can get just as tasty, comforting soup in much less time.
How to Make Chicken Noodle Soup in the Instant Pot
Although easy to make, here are a few tips to make this Instant Pot chicken noodle soup super simple and delicious.
- Chicken Thighs: You don't need the whole chicken to make this soup. Bone-in skin-on chicken thighs and add much more flavor to the soup than chicken breasts. Remove any excess fat and dark matter (kidneys) from the chicken thighs and discard. After pressure cooking, discard the skin and bones. If by chance there is any excess fat from the chicken in the soup, you can skim it off before serving.
- Onions, Carrots, and Celery: Cut the carrots into evenly sized pieces so they get done cooking at the same time. This factor is not as critical for the onions and the celery. My mother always added the celery greens to the pot too for an extra pop of flavor, so this recipes follows her advice.
- Low-Sodium Chicken Broth: Using a low or no-sodium chicken broth is recommended for a couple of reasons. First, because the recipe calls for 4 cups of broth, the soup would be too salty. You can always adjust the saltiness to taste later. Secondly, if you are serving this Instant Pot chicken noodle soup soup to young children, particularly those under 1 year old, you do not want added salt. We're want to keep this soup family-friendly!
- Wide Egg Noodles: The wider noodles add the downhome feel and flavor to this soup. They also make a perfect finger food for young children. You may also want to try Kluski noodles, a thinner Polish noodle in this chicken soup. Follow the cooking time on the package in step 6.
Doesn't this bowl of Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup look amazingly delicious!
Freezing Chicken Noodle Soup
If you are making the whole batch to freeze:
Do not add the noodles. Follow the directions through step 5. Let your soup cool. You can refrigerate it and scrape up any coagulated fat from the top, if needed. Spoon into serving size containers and freeze for up to 3 months.
To Reheat: The chicken soup can be defrosted overnight in the refrigerator or just before using in the microwave. Add water to a stock pot over medium-high heat or to the Instant Pot set on Sauté and Normal. Heat water until boiling, add noodles and cook, stirring, according to the time on the package. Drain. Add the chicken soup to the pot and cook, stirring often, until heated through. Stir in noodles. Serve.
If you are making part of the batch to freeze:
Follow the directions through step 5. Ladle out the portion you plan to freeze. Let your soup cool before transferring to freezer containers or bags. Follow the instructions above to reheat your chicken noodle soup.
Add the quantity of noodles needed. For 4 servings, you will need 1 cup of noodles. For 2 servings, you will need ½ cup of noodles.
Equipment Needed: In addition to your Instant Pot, a classic 8" chefs knife is one of the best tools to have in your kitchen.
More Comforting Instant Pot Soups
Time for you to start making a quick, easy and comforting batch of Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup!
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup (Kid-Friendly)
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- celery leaves cut from the stalks
- 1 ½ tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or Low-Sodium Chicken Stock
- 4 cups water
- 2 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs about 4 to 5 thighs
- 2 cups wide egg noodles
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté on Normal. Add the butter and heat until melted. Add onions, carrots and celery; cook, stirring, 5 minutes or until the onion is softened. Press Cancel.
- Add the celery leaves, parsley, oregano, broth and water, stirring well. Add the chicken thighs.
- Close and lock the lid and turn the steam release handle to Sealing. Set your Instant Pot to pressure cook on High for 7 minutes.
- When the cooking time is done, press Cancel. Let stand 10 minutes and then turn the steam release handle to Venting. When the float valve drops down, remove the lid. An instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into the thickest part of the thighs should register 165°F (74°C) (If more cooking time is needed, close and lock the lid and cook for 2 minutes.)
- Using tongs, transfer chicken thighs to a work surface. Using 2 forks, shred the chicken. Discard the bones and skin. Remove and discard the celery leaves.
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté on Normal. Add the noodles to the pot and follow the package instructions for cooking time. (Typically about 7 to 9 minutes.) When the cooking time is done, press Cancel. Stir in the shredded chicken. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into serving bowls.