Post published on January 20, 2020 and Updated on December 10, 2020
This Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is super easy to make in the pressure cooker and the results are wonderfully tender beef in a rich and creamy mushroom sauce. If you are looking for an easy, comfort food dinner, this Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff recipe delivers.
Stroganoff, an Eastern European classic, became a wildly popular dish in America in the 1950's. Over the years, stroganoff has gone through many transitions. This recipe is a variation of my daughter's favorite beef stroganoff recipe which I have adapted for the Instant Pot. You will soon see what makes this family-friendly dinner so popular.
The Secrets To Tender Beef and Rich Flavor
- Pressure Cooking is the key to tender beef for this Instant Pot beef stroganoff recipe. Cooking under pressure tenderizes the beef because of the higher temperatures that occur in a much shorter period of time. You wouldn't be able to cook beef at this high of temperature by other methods for very long without destroying your meat. Also, the steam penetrates the meat breaking down the connective tissue. The end result is wonderfully tender beef.
- Searing the Beef adds incredible flavor. The browned meat is the result of a chemical reaction called the Maillard reaction. It is this reaction that occurs between amino acids and sugars that makes your meat so wonderfully flavorful. If you want to know more about how this works so you can apply it to other recipes, check out this article from the folks at Serious Eats: An Introduction to the Maillard Reaction: The Science of Browning, Aroma, and Flavor
- Boneless Chuck Roast is a much more flavorful cut of meat than the mildly flavored beef tenderloin, which is often called for in stroganoff. Some recipes also call for ribeye or sirloin. I'd rather just toss those on the grill. Chuck roast, blade roast or beef stew cubes are all a great budget-friendly alternative to more expensive cuts of meat.
- Mushrooms give the gravy it's umami - that deep intense flavor that makes this dish so warm and inviting.
- Deglazing the pan contributes to the rich flavor of the gravy. Those tiny little browned particles on the bottom of the pot are full of rich, meaty flavors that will enhance your Instant Pot beef stroganoff.
- Worcestershire Sauce tenderizes the chuck roast and intensifies the savory flavor.
Instant Pot beef stroganoff is one of those comfort food recipes that just hits all the right notes on cool winter evenings. It is easy and quick enough to make on a busy weeknight, or make for Sunday dinner with the family or friends.
I'm sure you will love the tender beef and rich mushroom gravy that are perfect for ladling over warm buttered noodles.
Check out my post on How To Use The Instant Pot for insight into getting the best results from your Instant Pot
More Instant Pot Beef Recipes
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 1-½ lbs boneless beef chuck roast cut into 1 ½-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp virgin olive oil approx.
- ¼ cup butter divided
- 1 onion diced
- 1 lb baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1-¼ cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 12 oz egg noodles
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- Season beef with salt and pepper. Sprinkle garlic powder over beef, tossing to coat. Set your Instant Pot to sauté on Normal. When the display says Hot, add 2 tbsp oil and heat until shimmering. Working in batches, add beef and cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until browned on all sides, adding more oil as needed between batches. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a plate as it is browned.
- Add 3 tbsp butter to the pot and heat until melted. Add onion and mushrooms; cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes or until onion and mushrooms are softened and liquid is evaporated. Stir in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Press Cancel. Return beef and any accumulated juices to the pot, stirring well.
- Close and lock the lid and turn the steam release handle to Sealing. Set your Instant Pot to pressure cook on High for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook egg noodles according to package directions. Drain. Transfer to a bowl and toss with remaining 1 tbsp of butter. Set aside.
- When the cooking time is done, press Cancel and let stand 3 minutes. Then turn the steam release handle to Venting. When the float valve drops down, remove the lid. The beef should be fork-tender. (If more cooking time is needed, continue pressure cooking on High for 3 minutes.)
- Stir ½ cup liquid from the pot into the sour cream and then stir into the remaining ingredients in the pot. (see tip) Set your Instant Pot to sauté on Normal. Cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Season stroganoff to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over buttered noodles.