The simplest comfort food ever! Follow 5 tips for the best Grilled Cheese Recipe everytime. Slices of hearty bread, shredded or sliced cheese, and a bit of butter or mayonnaise and you have a yummy, gooey grilled sandwich loaded with cheese! Pure Bliss!
How to Make the Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Use the best cheese for melting. Mild cheddar, Colby, Monterey Jack, Swiss and Mozzarella are some of my favorites. These types of cheese are moist and younger which gives them their meltability. While these qualities make them great for melting, it also makes them taste more bland.
- Use an aged cheese for a deeper cheesier taste. Ideal choices are sharp cheddar, aged Swiss, Asiago, or Gruyère. In the picture below, from left to right the blocks of cheese are young to aged. Note the difference in how moist the young/mild cheddars are compared to the aged/sharp.
- Choose a dense bread with a small crumb. The best choice of bread is a hearty white sandwich or country bread with small holes. Even though we may love sourdough or French breads, we sure don’t want our scrumptious cheese melting out through the holes and burning to the pan.
- Generously spread butter or mayonnaise one side of each piece of bread from end-to-end. For making perfect grilled cheese, fat is your friend. This is what will give the outside of your grilled sandwich the crispy, browned crust. I find either butter or mayonnaise work well. The butter makes it more buttery tasting, but can burn faster if you don’t follow Tip 5. Mayonnaise gives the sandwich a very slight tang, but does have a higher smoke point. Try both and see which taste you like!
- Cook low and slow. Using low heat and cooking slowly will result in the best tasting grilled cheese and still will only take you less than 10 minutes to make. Avoid having soggy bread by cooking over lower heat.
Use only full fat cheese, butter or mayonnaise in making the perfect grilled cheese.
These sandwiches are the ideal comfort food all by themselves or serve them with chips, a pickle, or a bowl of tomato soup.
Grilled Cheese Recipe (5 Tips for the Best Grilled Cheese)
- 4 slices hearty white sandwich bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (approximately)
- 3 ounces sharp (aged) cheddar cheese
- 1 ounce mild cheddar or colby cheese
- Spread mayonnaise over one side of each piece of bread; covering the side entirely.
- Heat a medium skillet over low heat. When the skillet is hot, place 2 slices of bread, mayonnaise side down, in the skillet.
- Top each slice with half of the sharp and mild cheddar cheese. Top with the remaining slice of bread, mayonnaise side out.
- Cook sandwiches, turning once, aout 8 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bread is browned and crispy on both sides.
- Cut sandwiches in half diagonally and serve.
Select images courtesy of the Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin