If you’re looking for an easy, quick, and fool-proof way to make delicious frozen hash browns, then an air fryer is the perfect solution. Frozen hash browns in the air fryer are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Plus there is no splattering mess from frying.
Making this air fryer hash browns recipe is an easy and delicious way to make a quick breakfast, lunch or dinner side dishes. You only need frozen hash browns and a little bit of oil. You will have crispy frozen hash browns that will please even the pickiest of eaters.
Hash brown potatoes go great alongside eggs, bacon, and sausage for breakfast. But I especially like to serve them with a chuck roast in oven, a sirloin tip roast, or this recipe for rump roast. Potatoes are always a perfect side dish for roasts, but I really like that the frozen air fryer hash browns can be started and finished while my roast is ready to come out of the oven and finish resting. No need for extra guesswork on the timing.
Alternatively, make this an easy breakfast recipe served with a side of fresh fruit or berries. The simple ingredients make this recipe a great option and an easy way to start with a good breakfast.
⭐ What's To Love
This is a great recipe to make for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. You only need f few ingredients and you can make it for 1 to 10 people. Best of all, there are a few simple steps and the frozen shredded potatoes are done very quickly - just layer frozen hash browns in the air fryer and cook until they are golden brown. There aren't even any extra dishes to clean up.
Frozen shredded hash browns typically come in 30 ounce packages. This size package can serve from 1 to 10 people. If you're cooking for one or two, this bag is ideal since you can scoop out how much you want, seal the bag tightly and return the rest to the freezer.
Cooking oil is optional but I do like to spritz some neutral tasting oil such as vegetable oil, canola oil, grapeseed oil or sunflower oil on the top of the hash browns in the air frying tray. Make sure to use an oil spritzer to spray a little bit of oil on the hash browns in the air fryer. You don't need to use a lot of oil for extra crispy hash browns. Do not use a non-stick cooking oil spray as it will cause a gummy film to collect on the inside of the air fryer.
Spices. Season the hash browns in the air fryer with a little kosher salt and black pepper. You can also season with garlic powder or onion powder to jazz them up a bit and if it complements your main course.
Note: Exact measurements are in the recipe card.
🔪 How To Make Perfect Frozen Hash Browns in Air Fryer
- Preheat the air fryer. I prefer to preheat the air fryer, even though some brands don't require that step. I find that the cooking time is much more accurate if I have preheated the air fryer. It only takes a few minutes.
(Optional: You can add pre-cut parchment paper liners to the bottom of the basket before adding the frozen shredded hash browns.)
2. Add the frozen hash browns in an even layer to the air fryer basket. Scatter the hash browns evenly across the bottom of the basket. Then, spritz with oil and sprinkle with seasonings, if using.
3. Air fry for 7 to 10 minutes. Gently toss and cook until crispy and golden brown.
- Transfer the hash browns to a serving plate. Serve hot for the best flavor and texture.
The key to making frozen hash browns perfectly crisp is to spread the hash browns out into a single layer across the bottom of your air fryer basket.
Use an oil spritzer to spritz a little oil over the top of the frozen hash browns in the air fryer to help them get nicely brown and crispy. Do not use non-stick cooking spray.
Use frozen patties in place of the frozen shredded hash browns.
In place of the canola oil, use only neutral oils such as vegetable oil, canola, and grapeseed oil for golden-brown hash browns.
If you want to make more servings of frozen shredded hash browns, you will need to air fry them in batches. To keep the already-cooked hash browns warm, preheat your oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Add cooked hash browns to a sheet pan and place them in the oven until all batches are done.
- Leftover hash browns can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To serve, reheat the hash browns in the air fryer at 300 degrees until heated through.
- Cooked shredded hash browns can also be frozen for up to 3 months in an air tight container.
- Uncooked frozen shredded hash browns can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months. Double-check the use by date on the package for best results.
Making frozen hash browns in an air fryer is the easiest way to enjoy crispy, delicious hash browns without the mess and hassle of traditional frying. All you need are frozen hash browns and your air fryer. Get ready to enjoy crispy, golden brown hash browns.
Frozen Shredded Air Fryer Hash Browns
- Air Fryer
- Oil spritzer
- 2 cups frozen shredded hash browns from a 30 ounce bag
- 1 teaspoon canola oil see tip
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F.
- Add about 2 cups of frozen hash browns, in a single layer, to the air fryer basket. Scatter the hash browns evenly across the bottom of the basket. Lightly spritz with oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Air fry for 10 minutes. Gently toss and cook for an additional 7 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown.
- Transfer the hash browns to a serving plate. Serve warm. (See tips if making more than 2 servings.)