These Crispy Fish Tacos with Sauce have a delightful combination of flavors and textures that the whole family will love. It all starts with seasoned, flaky, crispy pan fried cod. These delicious cod fillets sit on a pillow of coleslaw and red onions. Then drizzle them with the creamy, spicy fish sauce for the ultimate fish taco!
What Makes This Fish Taco Recipe So Amazing
Flavor Combinations. To balance the flavors there is a spicy fish batter, bitter cabbage slaw, creamy sauce, and acid from the lime. balance out this fish tacos taste.
Balanced Textures. The mix of flaky, crunchy, and creamy textures pulls this whole dish together.
Pan Fried Cod. The cod is lightly floured so it doesn’t stick to the pan and makes a crispier exterior. Searing the cod on medium-high heat and waiting until it starts to release from the pan adds flavor to the mild cod.
Quick and Easy. The packaged cabbage slaw mix saves so much time chopping and shredding vegetables. The sauce is simple to mix up and the ingredients are most likely in your pantry. It takes under 10 minutes to cook the cod and because it is fried in just a little oil, the cleanup is easier too.
Creamy Fish Taco Sauce. The creamy, spicy sauce combination of sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, lime and hot sauce is the best taco sauce for this fried cod fish taco.
How to Make Fish Tacos With Sauce
- Mix the Wondra, cumin, salt and pepper together very well. The goal is to season the fish evenly. If you don’t have Wondra, you can use all-purpose flour. Do not pack the flour – we want this breading to be light and fluffy. If you have a flour sifter, you may want to combine the fish taco seasoning and flour and sift it out onto the plate.
- Make sure the frying pan and oil are hot.
- Wait to flip the cod until it readily pulls away from the pan. This will add flavor and prevent it from falling apart.
Variations for Fish Tacos and Fish Taco Sauce
- Replace the cod with tilapia, haddock, or Mahi Mahi. Cook the tilapia 6 minutes, turning once, or until golden and flaky. Haddock and Mahi Mahi will have a cooking time similar to cod. Use fillets of even thickness.
- Use 1 teaspoon juice from a jar of Chipotle peppers. Slice a Chipotle pepper and add it along with the onion in step 5.
- Homemade Cabbage Slaw for Tacos that we use on shrimp tacos or scallop tacos.
- Use Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream.
- Both flour tortilla or corn tortillas work well. Or for a low-carb version, use large romaine leaves for butter lettuce leaves in place of the tortillas.
Good Side Dishes for Fish Tacos
Amazing Fish Tacos with Sauce
Fish Taco Sauce
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons real mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- hot sauce such as Cholula or Frank's
Fish Taco Seasonings
- 1/4 cup Wondra or finely milled flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound cod fillets
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 taco-size tortillas wheat or corn
- 1-1/2 cups coleslaw mix green cabbage, carrots, red cabbage
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
Fish Taco Sauce
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice and garlic powder. Stir in 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce, adding more sauce to taste. Set aside.
Fish Taco Seasoning
- Pat fish dry with a paper towel. Cut cod fillets into 8 evenly-sized pieces. In a shallow dish, combine flour, cumin, salt and pepper. Dredge fish in the mixture to coat lightly with flour. Shake off any excess flour.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add the oil and heat until shimmering. Add the cod and cook, turning once, about 8 minutes or until the tilapia is golden, slightly crisp and opaque. Transfer the cod to plates
- Meanwhile, place the tortillas in a tortilla warmer or paper towel-lined plate and microwave 1 minute or until warm.
- Place the tortillas on a work surface. Sprinkle the coleslaw mix down the center of the tortillas. Arrange the fried cod fillets, evenly divided, on top of the slaw. Top with red onions. Drizzle with with the taco sauce.
- Serve with lime wedges.
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into chunks
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and cut into chunks
- 1 medium tomato, diced