This is an easy Enchiladas Verdes recipe that you are destined to fall in love with. It has a combination of chicken, a ready-made salsa verde, a shredded Mexican cheese blend which is then wrapped in flour tortillas and baked. After 30 minutes, the enchiladas verde are topped with cotija and cilantro.
This dish is an adaptation of one of my families all-time favorite Chicken Enchiladas recipe. Since we could eat Mexican almost every day of the week, it was time to make a new version to add to our menus. These chicken enchiladas were a hit! The salsa verdes adds a unique chili taste that you don’t find in the standard picante salsa recipes.
You may also want to try another of our family favorites. It’s our Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas.
If you have an Instant Pot, you can make Instant Pot Whole Chicken, shred the chicken and you will have shredded chicken ready for the Enchiladas Verdes. How about that for easy!
Enchiladas Verdes (Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground mushroom powder optional
- 1-1/2 cups salsa verde
- 3/4 cup sour cream more for serving, if desired
- 10 taco-size (6-inch diameter) flour or corn tortillas see tips
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack blend or a Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese optional
- Fresh cilantro optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 13-by 9-inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add the oil and heat until shimmering. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant. Add the chicken, cumin, oregano, and mushroom powder (if using); cook, stirring, until combined and warmed though. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the salsa verde and sour cream until well blended. (Some tiny bits of sour cream may still be visible which is okay.) Spread about 1/2 cup salsa verde mixture over the bottom of the prepared baking dish until just covered. Set remaining sauce aside.
- Place a tortilla on a plate (or clean work surface). Spoon a slightly heaping 3 tbsp chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top with 2 tbsp shredded cheese. Roll up tortilla and place seam side down in the prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas, chicken, and cheese.
- Spread the reserved sauce over the tortillas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cotija cheese. Serve garnished with cilantro, if using, and sour cream on the side.