What's not to love about an easy fish stew that is packed with white fish chunks, tomatoes, Italian herbs, and a touch of chili pepper and lime to make those flavors pop!
Why This Fish Stew Is So Wonderful
- Firm white fish fillets, such as cod, tilapia, and halibut, are used in this recipe. These fillets are readily available either fresh or frozen and are very budget friendly. And because there are a range of fillets you can use, you can choose one that is at a better price or that suits your tastes.
- Serve with slices of toasted bread and you have a wonderfully satisfying meal. Use the bread to mop up some of the wonderful juices in the bowl.
- Fish is loaded with essential nutrients and omega-3 fatty acids. So not only is the fish stew delicious, it is healthy for you too.
- Make it ahead of time. Fish stew stores well in the refrigerator up to 3 days and also freezes well for up to 3 months.
- It is a quick and easy family-friendly meal made with ingredients you may already have on hand in your pantry and freezer.
Love Fish Recipes? Try These Recipes Out Too
Easy Fish Stew with Italian Flavors
A wonderful fish stew that doesn't take hours and countless ingredients to make. Fresh fish fillets are cooked in aromatic liquids until the flavors meld into a wonderfully fresh and comforting stew.
- 6 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅔ cup lightly packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped divided
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano with juice
- Pinch dry thyme
- 1 can (8 ounces) clam juice
- ½ cup dry white wine see white wine substitutes below
- 1 ½ pounds firm white fish fillets, cut into large pieces (such as halibut, cod, red snapper, or sea bass)
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can green chili peppers optional
- 1 lime, cut into wedges optional
- In a heavy-bottomed stock pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add oil and heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook, stirring 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add ⅓ cup parsley, and tomatoes with juice; cook, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes or until flavors are melded.
- Add oregano, thyme, clam juice, wine, and fish. Cook gently, 5 minutes or until fish is opaque and flakes easily when tested with a fork. Stir in cayenne pepper. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with chili peppers (if using) and remaining parsley. Ladle into bowls and serve garnished with lime wedges, if using.
Serve with slices of crusty bread.
Calories: 429kcalCarbohydrates: 20gProtein: 33gFat: 23gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 1037mgPotassium: 1128mgFiber: 3gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 1115IUVitamin C: 37mgCalcium: 102mgIron: 3mg