Published on: Feb 9, 2020 Updated on: May 18th, 2020
A wonderfully refreshing Cucumber Tomato Salad with sliced red onions, and an easy homemade tarragon vinaigrette. This salad packs the perfect balance of flavors. Serve it alongside chicken or pork or as a light lunch.
This cucumber salad with tomatoes is sure to become one of your go-to Cucumber Salad Recipes!
Perfect Cucumber Tomato Salad
This is such a simple salad to make, but like any recipe there are a few tips to help you make it the best tomato salad. Here are some tips to make it turn out perfect!
Cucumbers: Select cucumbers that are firm and dark green. Look for ones that are not as thick as they tend to have fewer seeds. If you don't want seeds at all, you can use seedless or English cucumbers.
Tomatoes: Choose tomatoes that feel heavy for their size and have a smooth, unblemished skin. Roma tomatoes, a plum tomato, if firmer than other, larger varieties so they hold up really nicely with the cucumbers in this salad. If you can't find good roma or plum tomatoes, you can use about 2 to 3 pints of cherry tomatoes. Cut each of the cherry tomatoes into 4 wedges.
Red Onions: Sliced thin, red onions are a great match for the cucumber and tomatoes. You can substitute slice green onions as a variation too.
How to Make Cucumber with Tomato Salad
- Cut the cucumbers and tomatoes into similar bite-size chunks.
- Halve the red onion and slice thinly.
- Make the vinaigrette and blend it well before before tossing with the salad. You can omit the tarragon and use dried dill or mint.
- Refrigerate the salad up to 1 hour before serving. You can serve it immediately if you want, but the vinaigrette has a change to work more of its magic and bring out the flavors and slightly soften the texture of cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onions.
You can cover and refrigerate this salad up to 3 days. A super easy salad that is as a leftover is still great tasting.
Cucumber with Tomato Salad
- 3 cucumbers, cut into chunks
- 6 plum tomatoes, cut into chunks
- ½ red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Pinch granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Fresh parsley leaves optional
- In a large bowl, combine cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- In glass canning-type jar, add olive oil, vinegar, tarragon, and sugar. Cover tightly and shake to blend ingredients. Pour over cucumber mixture and toss gently to combine. Cover salad and refrigerate up to an hour.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, and parsley, if using.