Creamy decadent taste and texture make these cream cheese mashed potatoes something to bring smiles all around. So simple to make ahead of time of an easy weeknight meal or dinner party.
Simple to make ahead of time, with a creamy decadent texture and taste—what more could you ask for in a holiday side dish? These cream cheese and chive mashed potatoes have it all. And what’s more, I love the way these potatoes complement just about any main dish, such as Sirloin Tip Roast, Rump Roast, or roasted Chicken Thighs.
What I Love About These Mashed Potatoes
- 4 Ingredients. Potatoes, milk, cream cheese, and chives. How great is that! Staples of salt and pepper are used for seasoning.
- Make-Ahead. This side dish can be made ahead of time. Just reheat before serving.
- So Creamy. The partnering of gold potatoes with milk and cream cheese is "dairyingly" delicious! (Dairyland pun intended 🙂 )
More Potato Side Dishes
- Perfectly Crispy and Tender Roasted Baby Potatoes
- Sweet and Crispy Roasted Carrots and Potatoes
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
Dreamy Creamed Cheese Mashed Potatoes with Chives
- 2-½ lbs Yukon gold potatoes
- ½ cup milk
- 8 oz plain cream cheese
- 10 chives chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large stock pot, Boil potatoes until potato gives easily when poked with a fork, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes and return to pot to dry out.
- Using a potato masher, mash potatoes, slowly adding milk, until potatoes are desired consistency. Add the cream cheese and combine until the cheese melts into the potatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in the chives, reserving some to sprinkle on the top. Transfer to a large serving bowl and sprinkle with remaining chives to serve.
- After boiling and draining the potatoes, return them to their pot to dry out. At this point you can let them stand, covered, for a few hours before finishing them. Reheat them by immersing in boiling water until they’re heated through, about 5 minutes, then proceed with the recipe as directed above.