Make terrifically crunchy fried shrimp in a fraction of the time and with barely any oil. Air Fryer Shrimp is perfect to serve as an appetizer or fun main dish along with a tangy, creamy homemade remoulade sauce on the side.
💭 Why We Love This Shrimp Recipe
While they seem quite impressive to serve, you might be surprised how simple crispy, crunchy fried shrimp are to prepare at home from scratch. In fact, this air fryer shrimp recipe is easy to make in less than 30 minutes, from start to finish... And it even includes steps for making a zesty and creamy remoulade sauce.
Fresh raw shrimp are dipped in an egg-free batter and "fried" to perfection in the air fryer. Only a light spray of cooking oil is needed. So skip those boxes of overly-breaded frozen shrimp, and air fry a batch of homemade crispy shrimp instead!
🥘 What You Will Need
- An Air Fryer. There are several different brands and types. Any model with a deep frying basket will work well for this recipe.
- Raw Shrimp, Peeled with Tail On. Most shrimp you buy will be frozen. When harvested shrimp is quick frozen... Even shrimp you see in the seafood display case is most likely quick frozen shrimp that has been defrosted. The problem is that you don't know how long it has been thawed. You can ask your fishmonger when it was thawed but remember it should be used within 2 days. You may be better off to ask the fishmonger for frozen shrimp from the back or check the freezer section.
- Ingredients to Make An Eggless Shrimp Batter. This crispy air fryer shrimp recipe doesn't use the typical egg wash; instead, the batter is made with the remoulade sauce and a bit of club soda to drench the shrimp. You will also need all-purpose flour, cornmeal, bread crumbs, kosher and ground black pepper.
- Homemade Remoulade Sauce. Remoulade is a classic Creole sauce often served with fried or fresh seafood dishes. Traditional remoulade is made with fresh egg yolks. However, for food safety, I use mayonnaise.
🔪 How to Make This Easy Recipe
- Make the Remoulade. This can be done up to 3 days before making the rest of the the air fryer shrimp recipe.
- Prepare the Shrimp.
- Make the Batter.
- Air Fry the Shrimp.
- Serve Air Fryer Shrimp with Remoulade Sauce.
- Use Frozen Shrimp. To thaw frozen shrimp, put them in a resealable plastic bag (such as Ziploc) and place them in a bowl of ice cold water in the sink. Turn the faucet so a small drizzle of cold water goes into the bowl. Water from the bowl will overflow into the drain. Shrimp will be ready to use in about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Ready Made Sauce. You can skip the homemade remoulade sauce recommended in this air fryer shrimp recipe, and instead use a store-bought brand. One of my favorites is this Louisiana Remoulade Sauce.
- Homemade Cocktail Sauce. Combine 1 cup ketchup, 3 tablespoons horseradish (fresh ground or prepared - not cream style), 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and drops of hot sauce to taste. Use in place of or serve alongside the remoulade sauce with crispy air fryer shrimp.
- Aioli. Combine 1 cup mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons minced garlic, 1-½ tablespoons lemon juice, 1-½ tablespoons pure olive oil, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Use in place of or serve alongside the remoulade sauce.
- Ready Made Dry Batter. Replace the flour, cornmeal, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper with a prepared dry batter to make air fryer shrimp. The Louisiana Fish Company is the winner again with this Seasoned Crispy Shrimp Fry batter mix.
💭 Tips For the Best Air Fried Shrimp
- Select the Right Shrimp. Do not rely on the name as much as the count - the count applies per pound: 16/20 Extra Jumbo, 21/25 Jumbo, 26/30 Extra Large, 31/35 Large. There are more sizes, but these are ideal for air fryer shrimp. For this recipe I used the 16/20 Extra Jumbo. You can use other sizes if you prefer based upon availability or price. However, I wouldn't go smaller than 26/30.
- Prepare the Appropriate Amount. This recipe serving size is for an appetizer - approximately 3 shrimp per serving - to serve with other appetizers. For a main course each serving should be 6 to 8 shrimp - to share between two people. Simply halve, double or triple the air fryer shrimp recipe as needed to make the right amount you need.
- How to Air Fry Battered Shrimp. Preheat your air fryer to 385° Fahrenheit. Arrange your battered shrimp in an even layer in the basket of the air fryer. Air fry about 10 minutes or until your shrimp are crispy and golden. Make sure to toss your shrimp about halfway through cooking for even cooking.
- How to Store and Reheat. Although air fryer shrimp tastes best when freshly made, you can store and enjoy the shrimp for a few days. Once cooled transfer the shrimp to an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, air fry the shrimp with a light coating of cooking oil for about 5-10 minutes until hot and crunchy.
🧾 More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
🍽 Serving Suggestions
- Air Fryer Tater Tots
- Perfectly Crispy and Tender Roasted Baby Potatoes
- Festive Instant Pot Potato Salad
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
📋 Recipe Card
📋 Golden Air Fryer Shrimp Recipe
- Air Fryer
- 1 pound raw peeled tail on extra jumbo shrimp (16/20 count)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Spicy Remoulade:
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1-½ tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Club soda
- Shrimp Batter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup plain bread crumbs
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Check shrimp and remove any remaining veins. Place shrimp in cold water. Set aside.
- Preheat the air fryer to 385°F. Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the garlic, cayenne pepper, mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard and lemon juice; mixing well. Add ½ cup remoulade sauce to a medium bowl. Add club soda, 1 teaspoon at a time, until sauce is smooth enough for dipping. Cover and refrigerate remaining sauce.
- In a shallow medium-size bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, bread crumbs, salt and pepper.
- Using paper towels, pat the shrimp dry. Dip the shrimp in the remoulade and soda mixture. Next dip the shrimp in the dry batter tossing to coat.
- Working in batches, arrange shrimp in a single layer in the fryer basket. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Cook, turning halfway through, about 10 minutes or until the shrimp are golden brown and cooked through. Transfer shrimp to a serving platter.
- Spoon refrigerated sauce into a serving bowl. Arrange shrimp around the sauce to serve.