It's true: You can make the most amazingly juicy, flavorful, crazy good hamburgers in the air fryer in only 20 minutes. Easily prepare Air Fryer Burgers from frozen patties or fresh with our foolproof burger recipe and step-by-step instructions. However you choose to make them, these mouthwatering air fryer hamburgers are sure to be your family's new favorite!
Why We Love This Recipe
Your air fryer is useful for so much more than simply, well, frying. In fact, you can use it to make everything from baked potatoes to savory air fryer hamburgers that taste better than grilled.
There are no special attachments needed, just place your patties into the basket and you'll be enjoying delicious air fryer hamburgers or cheeseburgers before you know it. This easy recipe takes less than 20 minutes, including prep time.
You can even make the patties in advance, and prepare air fryer burgers from frozen! Frozen burgers in the air fryer take less than 30 minutes from start to finish. This includes the 10 minutes preparation time for your air fryer burger before freezing it.
What really makes these the best burgers is a combination of simple, fresh and flavorful ingredients... No eggs or breadcrumbs needed. Our hamburger patty recipe only includes 5 ingredients, and can easily be customized to your tastes.
What You Will Need
- You can use any air fryer to make these delicious air fryer hamburgers. I have used Cosori, Instant Pot Vortex, and Chefman all with equally wonderful results. I would suggest looking at those brands and make your selection based upon the features you like.
- We recommend using a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the burgers for doneness.
- Ingredients to Make Fresh Air Fryer Hamburger Patties. We suggest 80/20 ground beef for the best taste and texture, plus dried minced onions, and Worcestershire sauce for a bit of saltiness and wonderful smoky flavor. Also, you need your favorite hamburger buns. Choose gluten-free burger buns, if you like.
- Suggested Burger Toppings. To make air fryer cheeseburgers you'll need slices of your preferred cheese, such as cheddar, pepper jack, Monterey Jack, or provolone. We also love topping our homemade burgers with iceberg lettuce, sliced tomato, slices of red or white onion, pickles, salt and pepper. Add your choice of condiments like ketchup, mayo, mustard, steak sauce or barbecue sauce.
How to Make Hamburger Patties from Scratch
- In a medium bowl, add all of the hamburger patty ingredients. Use your hands to combine thoroughly.
- Form into four equal patties that are only about an inch or so thick. Use your hands or a hamburger press to form the hamburger patties. Then use your finger to make a slight indent into the middle of each patty. This helps to ensure that the burgers don't rise as they cook.
- Either cook right away, refrigerate, or freeze the patties. To keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, place in an airtight container or on a plate covered with plastic wrap. Freeze the burger patties by layering parchment paper between each patty and stack together, then place in a sealed container and freeze for up to 4 months.
How to Make Perfectly Cooked Burgers
- First, preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Once preheated, toast the hamburger buns for just a few minutes while you get the burgers ready.
- Next arrange the burger patties in the air fryer so that they are not touching.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the air fryer burgers, and cook for another 3-5 minutes until desired level of doneness is reached. If making cheeseburgers, apply slices of cheese to the tops of the burgers during the last minute of cooking.
- Remove the burgers and plate, and allow to rest for a few minutes. The internal temperature after the burgers have rested should be at least 160 degrees.
- Serve the air fryer hamburgers warm with your preferred toppings and condiments.
How To Air Fry Frozen Burgers
Defrost the frozen patties in the refrigerator overnight before preparing the air fryer burgers per the recipe steps.
Or, simply make air fryer burgers from frozen patties with no thawing:
- Preheat the air fryer to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once preheated, arrange the frozen patties in the air fryer so that they are not touching. Cook for 10 minutes on the first side, then flip and increase the air fryer temperature to 375 degrees.
- Cook the air fryer burgers for an additional 7-10 minutes until done.
- Follow remaining recipe steps for your air fryer burgers as described above or in the recipe card.
- Make Leaner Air Fryer Burgers. Use 85/15 or 90/10 ground beef for air fryer burgers with less fat. Although they won't be as juicy as burgers made with 80/10 ground beef, leaner air fryer hamburgers are still incredibly flavorful and delicious.
- Seasoned Salt Burgers. Feel free to omit the Worcestershire sauce and instead use 2 teaspoons of your preferred seasoning salt in the blend for these air fryer hamburgers. We love Lawry's Seasoned Salt as a great option.
- Garlic Patties. Substitute the granulated dried onion with 2 teaspoons of granulated dried garlic. Or, do a 50/50 blend of each.
- Mushroom Powder. Add an extra punch of umami flavor by adding 2 teaspoons of ground mushroom powder to the air fryer hamburgers.
- Smoky Patties. Make air fryer hamburgers that taste flame-grilled by adding 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke to the burger mix.
- Cheesy Burgers. Need more cheesiness? You can add ⅓ of a cup of shredded cheese, like cheddar, Monterey or pepper jack, or provolone cheese. This works well even when making and planning to cook air fryer burgers from frozen.
- Festive Instant Pot Potato Salad
- Creamy Cheesy Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Perfectly Crispy and Tender Roasted Baby Potatoes
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Golden Air Fryer Shrimp with Special Sauce
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Perfectly Crispy Air Fryer Tater Tots
Crazy Good Air Fryer Burgers
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced red onion or white onion
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- steak sauce
- barbecue sauce
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, add the ground beef, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce. Using your hands, work the ingredients together. Shape beef mixture into four thin patties. Using your fingers, make a slight indent into the middle of the patties so they don't rise during cooking.
- Arrange burger patties in the air fryer. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip the burgers and cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until an instant read thermometer inserted horizontally into the burger patties registers 155°F. After removing the patties from the air fryer, their temperature will rise 5°F to a safe eating temperature of 160°F.
- If using sliced cheese, place cheese on top of the patties and cook for 1 more minute or until cheese is melted.
- Transfer patties to prepared hamburger buns. Serve with desired toppings and condiments.
- Worcestershire sauce adds salt to the ground beef so be careful when adding any additional salt.
- You may want to use a hamburger press in step 2 to shape your burgers. This helps to get even thickness and sizing.
- Burger patties can be prepared in step 2 and refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 4 months. Place a piece of parchment paper in between each patty and put them in an airtight, freezer safe container.
- To cook frozen burger patties, defrost in the refrigerator overnight or follow the steps below for air frying frozen burgers.
- To toast your hamburger buns, place them in the preheated air fryer, before step 3, for 3 to 5 minutes or lightly browned. Set aside until finish with toppings and the cooked burger patties.